NDP MLAs Rankin and Lore say grants will support sports events and tourism in Greater Victoria
VICTORIA – New Democrat MLAs Murray Rankin and Grace Lore say funding for sporting events in B.C. communities will boost local tourism and enrich sports communities for B.C. athletes, so sports fans, athletes, and businesses can enjoy games close to home, and travel to games across the province.
“Beyond the excitement and entertainment local sporting events provide, these events also generate significant economic activity, bringing in tourism revenue and creating job opportunities,” said Murray Rankin, MLA for Oak Bay Gordon Head. “These grants will allow for our local sporting organizations to further their community involvement.”
In Greater Victoria, the following events are receiving funding:
- $1,000 for the Cycling BC Provincial Track Championships which occurred last August
- $2,000 for the Water Ski and Wakeboard 2022 BC Water Ski Provincials which occurred last August
- $2,000 for the Water Ski and Wakeboard 2022 Wake Provincials which occurred last August
- $5,500 for the U SPORTS Women’s Rugby National Championship which occurred last November
- $4,500 for the Canada West Curling Championships which occurred this February
- $7,500 for the U SPORTS Swimming Championship which occurred this February
- $2,500 for the Little League Softball Canadian Championships this July and August
- $7,500 for the Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships this August
- $2,500 for the Archery Canada Target and Field Nationals this August
“Sports have the power to unite people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities,” said Grace Lore, MLA for Victoria-Beacon Hill. “By investing in sports events like rugby, cycling and swimming, we are investing in a more inclusive and vibrant community.”
Financial support for these events is coming through two funding programs – the Major Events Program and Hosting BC. The Province invests $500,000 annually in each program, for a combined $1 million for these events and opportunities.
Through the Major Events Program, non-for-profits are supported to host competitions and community development opportunities. Hosting BC is administered by viaSport, and supports organizations to put on smaller-scale events and opportunities for under-served and under-represented groups and regions.
Over 140 organizations in total are receiving support through these programs.
Learn More: https://news.gov.bc.ca/28352