Queen’s counsel nominations now open |BC Gov News
Friday, May 21, 2021 8:30 AM
Annual nominations for the honorary designation of Queen’s counsel (QC) have opened and will be accepted until July 16, 2021.
The QC designation recognizes lawyers in British Columbia for distinctive merit and exceptional contributions to the legal profession. Successful candidates will have demonstrated professional integrity and good character, and must have been a member of the British Columbia bar for at least five years. The designation is governed by the Queen’s Counsel Act and bestowed annually by the lieutenant governor upon the endorsement of the attorney general.
For more information about the nomination process and the nomination form, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/for-legal-professionals/queens-counsel
- In 2020, 26 QCs were appointed from 136 nominations.
- No more than 7% of practicing B.C. lawyers can be appointed as Queen’s counsel.
- All applications are reviewed by an advisory committee that recommends deserving candidates to the attorney general. The committee includes:
- the chief justice of British Columbia;
- the chief justice of the Supreme Court of British Columbia;
- the chief judge of the Provincial Court;
- two members of the Law Society appointed by the benchers;
- the president of the Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch; and
- the deputy attorney general.
- As of April 22, 2021, there are 13,110 practising lawyers in B.C., of whom 499 have received the B.C. QC designation.
Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:09 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Let’s tip the scales toward justice
Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Taylor Basin – Kamloops Trails
Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 9:01 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Dewdrop Ridge Ramble – Kamloops Trails
Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Great Glacier Trail to the Ice
Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 12:51 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Climate-altering negligence is endangering our children
Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Twin Falls and the Whaleback Trail
Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Crypt Lake – Kamloops Trails
Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:26 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: IPCC report could be a legal game-changer for climate
Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 8:42 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Tullin Mountain Trail – Kamloops Trails