TRU and Community Trash Bash – TRU Newsroom
TRU and Community Trash Bash
The TRU Sustainability Office and the City of Kamloops Sustainability Services are teaming up for the 24th annual Kamloops Community Trash Bash.
Last Spring, the annual Trash Bash was cancelled due to the pandemic. In response, TRU held a November iteration of the event and expanded it to include the whole community. This Spring, the event is continuing the new tradition of bashing trash all over Kamloops as well as on the TRU campus.
The objective is to encourage people to pick up litter from any location in the community—around their
homes, streets, parks, natural spaces or anywhere else.
TRU staff, students and faculty on-campus, are encouraged to pick up trash around TRU. During the work week on April 15 and 16, TRU employees can clean up trash in and around the campus during paid time for a maximum of one hour over both days.
Not only will you be making Kamloops and the TRU campus more beautiful—while also helping protect the earth—you will also have the chance to win great prizes.
Participants who register by email to email@example.com will be entered into a draw prize every Friday from April 2—16. Every Friday one participant will win a $50 gift card to the TRU Bookstore. The sooner you register, the better your chances of winning!
Other prizes include:
- Three prizes for the ‘Most Bizarre Pieces of Trash Picked Up.’
- ‘Most Trash Bashed.’ The winner will be determined based on a photo they email to firstname.lastname@example.org showcasing the pile of trash they have collected. The individual or team with the biggest pile of trash wins lunch at the TRU Culinary Arts Scratch Cafe.
- ‘Best Team Name.’ Come up with a fantastic individual or team name for a chance to win a great BYO prize pack for each teammate. The size includes Bring Your Own item, such as water bottles, shopping bags, etc.
- Three City of Kamloops BYO prize packs for the most beautiful backgrounds. Take selfies while you are trash bashing on event days and submit them to us by email to email@example.com for a chance to win.
Rules and Safety:
- In light of COVID-19, you are encouraged to pick up trash by yourself or others in your bubble.
- Please practice physical distancing, wear a mask if you want to and wash your hands properly during and after the event.
- Wear gloves and do not pick up anything that you are not comfortable with for any reason. For example, heavy items, needles, broken glass, etc.
- Please try to recycle any recyclable items and put the rest in the garbage.
To participate, all you have to do is pledge to pick up some trash on any of the four days from April 15—18 and register by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include ‘Trash Bash’ in the subject line.
Once you register, you’re automatically eligible to win a Friday draw prize.
James Gordon,TRU Sustainability Office
Jaimi Garbutt, City of Kamloops
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 4:10 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: The climate is changing rapidly, but the oil industry isn’t
Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Stake Lake Loops – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Big Pine Nature Hike – Kamloops Trails
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:40 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Blueberry River First Nations court victory offers path to reconciliation
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Along the Red Plateau Escarpment Rim
Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking the Wounded Knee Trail
Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking in the McQueen Lake Area
Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 4:28 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Reparation, land and justice for Indigenous Peoples is long overdue
Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: White Horse Bluff Loop – Kamloops Trails
Thu Jul 1 to Tue Aug 31 Music in the Park
Thu Jul 29 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Wed Aug 25 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Aug 26 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Sat Sep 11 to Sun Sep 12 Parkinson SuperWalk
Tue Sep 28 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop