TRU and Community Trash Bash – TRU Newsroom
TRU and Community Trash Bash
The TRU Sustainability Office and the City of Kamloops Sustainability Services are teaming up for the 24th annual Kamloops Community Trash Bash.
Last Spring, the annual Trash Bash was cancelled due to the pandemic. In response, TRU held a November iteration of the event and expanded it to include the whole community. This Spring, the event is continuing the new tradition of bashing trash all over Kamloops as well as on the TRU campus.
The objective is to encourage people to pick up litter from any location in the community—around their
homes, streets, parks, natural spaces or anywhere else.
TRU staff, students and faculty on-campus, are encouraged to pick up trash around TRU. During the work week on April 15 and 16, TRU employees can clean up trash in and around the campus during paid time for a maximum of one hour over both days.
Not only will you be making Kamloops and the TRU campus more beautiful—while also helping protect the earth—you will also have the chance to win great prizes.
Participants who register by email to email@example.com will be entered into a draw prize every Friday from April 2—16. Every Friday one participant will win a $50 gift card to the TRU Bookstore. The sooner you register, the better your chances of winning!
Other prizes include:
- Three prizes for the ‘Most Bizarre Pieces of Trash Picked Up.’
- ‘Most Trash Bashed.’ The winner will be determined based on a photo they email to firstname.lastname@example.org showcasing the pile of trash they have collected. The individual or team with the biggest pile of trash wins lunch at the TRU Culinary Arts Scratch Cafe.
- ‘Best Team Name.’ Come up with a fantastic individual or team name for a chance to win a great BYO prize pack for each teammate. The size includes Bring Your Own item, such as water bottles, shopping bags, etc.
- Three City of Kamloops BYO prize packs for the most beautiful backgrounds. Take selfies while you are trash bashing on event days and submit them to us by email to email@example.com for a chance to win.
Rules and Safety:
- In light of COVID-19, you are encouraged to pick up trash by yourself or others in your bubble.
- Please practice physical distancing, wear a mask if you want to and wash your hands properly during and after the event.
- Wear gloves and do not pick up anything that you are not comfortable with for any reason. For example, heavy items, needles, broken glass, etc.
- Please try to recycle any recyclable items and put the rest in the garbage.
To participate, all you have to do is pledge to pick up some trash on any of the four days from April 15—18 and register by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include ‘Trash Bash’ in the subject line.
Once you register, you’re automatically eligible to win a Friday draw prize.
James Gordon,TRU Sustainability Office
Jaimi Garbutt, City of Kamloops
Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 8:15 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Are we too hard on newly arrived plants and animals?
Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 8:45 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Rambling through the Frederick Bluffs
Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 12:43 pm - Bill Sundhu posted on their blog: If you don’t have $20 million, relax. A wealth tax won’t hurt you. »
Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On the Lower Rose Trails
Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 1:32 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: It’s time to stop logging old-growth forests
Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Dewdrop Ridge – Battle Bluff Route
Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 10:24 pm - Arjun Singh posted on their blog: Late evening musings on one of Kamloops’ Council’s critical responsibilities…
Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Tranquille Hills Hike – Kamloops Trails
Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 8:30 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On the Savona to Sabiston Trail in March
Fri Apr 9 to Sat May 8 KSO Presents: Charlie Parker w/ Strings
Fri Apr 23 to Sat May 22 KSO Presents: Voilà Viola!
Sun Apr 25 A Celebration with ZZ Top (New Date)
Thu Apr 29 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Wed May 5 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Sat May 15 A Virtual Choir Spring Fling
Thu May 27 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Sat May 29 Amadeus
Tue Jun 8 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Sat Jun 12 New Music for Piano and Viola
Thu Jun 24 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Thu Jul 1 to Tue Aug 31 Music in the Park
Wed Jul 14 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Jul 29 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up