Kelowna workshop gives tips for recognizing, preventing avian flu
The Province will be holding an information session for small-flock poultry owners in Kelowna about the avian influenza virus, how they can protect flocks and how to prepare for potential effects if birds become sick.
The session is being led by B.C. government veterinary specialists. Attendees will learn about:
- improving flock or farm biosecurity to reinforce against disease outbreaks;
- recognizing the signs of avian influenza and how to report cases;
- how foreign animal disease regulations affect small-flock poultry;
- what to expect if a flock is positive for avian influenza; and
- resources available for non-commercial bird owners, including diagnostic services through the BC Animal Health Centre.
The session will be held at Reid Hall from 8:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022. Attendees will receive a free biosecurity kit containing tools and information to help maintain good biosecurity practices. Although there is no cost to attend the session, seating is limited and registration is mandatory. Register online at: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/410090420487
The risk of avian influenza to commercial poultry farms and small flocks increases each spring and fall with the migration of waterfowl and other birds through British Columbia. The Kelowna public information session is one of a series of sessions planned for communities throughout B.C. this fall.
- Avian influenza is a federally regulated disease, and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) leads investigation and response with provincial support for testing, mapping, surveillance and disposal.
- Wild birds have tested positive for H5 strains of avian influenza in multiple regions of the province.
- The Wild Bird Mortality Investigation Program hotline accepts public reports of dead wild birds: 1 866 431-2473.
- Since mid-April 2022, the CFIA has confirmed 21 cases of avian influenza in commercial and small poultry flocks in communities throughout B.C.
- This is an extension of an ongoing North American outbreak.
CFIA information about current state of avian influenza in Canada: https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-health/terrestrial-animals/diseases/reportable/avian-influenza/response-to-detections-of-highly-pathogenic-avian-/eng/1640207916497/1640207916934
CFIA factsheet about avian influenza: https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-health/terrestrial-animals/diseases/reportable/avian-influenza/fact-sheet/eng/1356193731667/1356193918453#a2
Information about avian influenza, including what to look for, resources for small flock owners, deputy chief veterinarian orders and information on testing: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/agriculture-seafood/animals-and-crops/animal-health/reportable-notifiable-diseases/avian-influenza-ai
Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 4:16 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Climate change, tipping points and economic gain
Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 8:58 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Zupjok Peak – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 5:25 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Finding our place along the grand scale
Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Through the Black Forests on the Bonaparte Plateau
Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Estekwalan Mountain (2022) – Kamloops Trails
Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Stake Lake Paddle and Giant Firs Hike
Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 6:12 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Water runs through the climate crisis
Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 8:48 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Campbell Point Trails – Kamloops Trails
Sat, Sep 3, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On the McQueen Lake Trails
Wed Sep 21 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Sep 22 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Sep 22 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Sat Sep 24 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Sep 26 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Sep 27 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Sep 28 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Sep 29 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Sep 29 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri Sep 30 Dvořák & Jam
Sat Oct 1 New Word / New Beats
Sat Oct 1 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Sun Oct 2 Dvořák Delights
Mon Oct 3 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub