Williams Lake workshop provides tips on recognizing, preventing avian flu
The Ministry of Agriculture and Food will hold an information session on Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2022, for small flock poultry owners in the Williams Lake area about the avian influenza virus, how they can protect their flocks and how to prepare for potential impacts if their birds become sick.
The session will be led by B.C. government veterinary specialists. Attendees will learn about:
- improving flock or farm biosecurity to reinforce against disease outbreaks;
- recognizing the signs of avian influenza and how to report cases;
- how foreign animal disease regulations affect small flock poultry;
- what to expect if a flock is positive for avian influenza; and
- resources available for non-commercial bird owners, including diagnostic services through the BC Animal Health Centre.
The session will be held at Thompson Rivers University, Williams Lake campus, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2022. Attendees will receive a free biosecurity kit containing tools and information to help maintain good biosecurity practices. Although there is no cost to attend the session, seating is limited and registration is mandatory. Register online here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/410044663627
The risk of avian influenza to commercial poultry farms and small flocks increases each spring and fall, with the migration of waterfowl and other birds to and through British Columbia. The Williams Lake public information session is one of a series of sessions planned for communities throughout B.C. this fall.
- Avian influenza is a federally regulated disease, and the CFIA leads the investigation and response with provincial support for testing, mapping, surveillance and disposal.
- Wild birds have also tested positive for H5 strains of avian influenza in multiple regions of the province.
- The Wild Bird Mortality Investigation Program hotline, 1 866 431-2473, accepts public reports of dead wild birds.
- Since mid-April, the CFIA has confirmed 19 cases of avian influenza in commercial and small poultry flocks in communities throughout B.C.
- This is an extension of an ongoing North American outbreak.
CFIA information about current state of avian influenza in Canada: https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-health/terrestrial-animals/diseases/reportable/avian-influenza/response-to-detections-of-highly-pathogenic-avian-/eng/1640207916497/1640207916934
CFIA fact sheet about avian influenza: https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-health/terrestrial-animals/diseases/reportable/avian-influenza/fact-sheet/eng/1356193731667/1356193918453#a2
Ministry of Agriculture and Food information about avian influenza including what to be on the lookout for, resources for small flock owners, deputy chief veterinarian orders, and information about testing: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/agriculture-seafood/animals-and-crops/animal-health/reportable-notifiable-diseases/avian-influenza-ai
Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 3:25 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Canada can’t let industry and provinces stall carbon pricing
Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 8:58 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking to Painted Bluffs – Kamloops Trails
Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 8:55 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking the Spines in the Silt Cliffs
Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 4:16 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Climate change, tipping points and economic gain
Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 8:58 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Zupjok Peak – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 5:25 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Finding our place along the grand scale
Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Through the Black Forests on the Bonaparte Plateau
Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Estekwalan Mountain (2022) – Kamloops Trails
Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Stake Lake Paddle and Giant Firs Hike
Wed Oct 5 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Oct 6 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Oct 6 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Sat Oct 8 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Oct 10 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Oct 11 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Oct 12 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Oct 13 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Thu Oct 13 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Sat Oct 15 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Oct 17 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Oct 18 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Oct 19 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Oct 20 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub