Accessibility Standards Canada and the Ministry of Attorney General and Responsible for Housing collaborate on accessible building codes and standards
From the Government of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/accessibility-standards-canada/news/2022/05/accessibility-standards-canada-and-the-ministry-of-attorney-general-and-responsible-for-housing-collaborate-on-accessible-building-codes-and-standards.html
Accessibility Standards Canada and British Columbia’s Ministry of Attorney General and Responsible for Housing have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to optimize efforts and resources dedicated to creating a barrier-free Canada. This MOU acknowledges a formal agreement to share information and harmonize accessibility standards related to building codes wherever possible.
The MOU is also expected to support, foster, and enhance the ability of both parties to collaborate and coordinate efforts in the area of building codes and standards. The aim is an inclusive, cohesive, and barrier-free British Columbia and Canada.
Harmonizing standards across federal, provincial, and territorial governments is especially important in this area. It will allow for a more uniform approach when accessing buildings and their amenities, including entrances and washrooms across the country.
Through this MOU, both parties agree to:
- identify and coordinate priorities;
- conduct and share research products; and
- develop and propose accessibility standards related to building codes.
The national harmonization of standards carries benefits for all Canadians:
- It increases the potential for a cohesive accessibility experience across Canada.
- It ensures that standards reflect the needs of people living with disabilities, regardless of jurisdiction.
- It promotes equity and consistency of accessibility for people with disabilities as they live, work, and travel in Canada.
“I am proud of our work with the British Columbia’s Ministry of Attorney General and Responsible for Housing, as it will lead to better coordination and collaboration. By sharing accessibility best practices, specifically in the area of building codes and standards, the standards we develop will have a greater positive impact on the lives of all Canadians. Harmonizing standards ensures that the way people experience accessibility in Canada is consistent and seamless no matter where they are. We will continue to collaborate with other provinces and territories for the benefit of people living with disabilities, and all Canadians.”
– Philip Rizcallah, Chief Executive Officer, Accessibility Standards Canada
“The B.C. Government is committed to increasing accessibility to support all people in entering, exiting, and moving safely throughout buildings and public spaces in their communities. This Memorandum of Understanding will ensure coordinated efforts to achieve this goal provincially and nationally as we work to eliminate barriers to accessibility for all people living with disabilities.”
– Dan Coulter, Parliamentary Secretary for Accessibility, British Columbia
- The MOU validates a mutually beneficial working relationship between Accessibility Standards Canada and the British Columbia Ministry of Attorney General and Responsible for Housing. It acknowledges their complementary roles relating to accessibility standards and research.
- The MOU focuses on developing a building accessibility standard. It will incorporate equity-based technical requirements that British Columbia can use as it works towards its mandate to update the British Columbia Building Code. Their aim is to make new buildings more accessible for all people.
- Accessibility Standards Canada already has a technical committee working on a model standard for the built environment. The organization aims to publish the draft accessibility standard for public review in the spring of 2023.
- Where possible, the harmonization of standards seeks to optimize everyone’s individual and collective objectives. Sharing knowledge and best practices reduces and eliminates the duplication of resources and efforts to benefit all Canadians.
Accessibility Standards Canada: https://accessible.canada.ca/
B.C. Government’s public consultation on accessibility: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/govtogetherbc/impact/accessibility_and_the_bc_building_code_engagement_results/
British Columbia Building Code: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/construction-industry/building-codes-standards/accessibility
Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 9:01 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Dunn Peak Trail – Kamloops Trails
Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 7:45 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Through Wild Horse Canyon – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 2:13 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: We can’t look away from our overheating world
Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 8:40 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Through the Arrowstone Hills – Kamloops Trails
Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 8:48 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Landstrom Ridge Hike – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 8:46 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: McQueen Creek Loop – Kamloops Trails
Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 8:32 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: For healthy habitats, leave it to the beavers — and other animal engineers!
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 8:50 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Along the Rim of Red Plateau Escarpment
Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 8:47 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: In the Uplands Hills – Kamloops Trails
Thu Aug 4 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Sat Aug 6 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Aug 8 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Aug 9 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Aug 10 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Aug 11 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Aug 11 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Sat Aug 13 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Aug 15 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Aug 16 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Aug 17 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Aug 18 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Aug 18 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Sat Aug 20 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing