Budget 2022 no time for austerity, says Green Party
OTTAWA – The Green Party is calling for increased spending to address the climate emergency, the housing crisis, and persistent holes in Canada’s social safety net when Finance Minister Crystia Freeland brings down this year’s federal budget next week.
In their pre-budget submission filed late last month, Green leaders warned the minister against giving in to the fear of inflation and delivering an austerity budget that risks turning an uncertain post-pandemic economic recovery into a recession.
Among the priorities identified in the Green Party’s submission:
- New programs on mental health including housing for people with mental illness, mental health research and free access to counselling services for people on low and middle incomes.
- Testing a new approach to poverty elimination by sharing the cost of a Guaranteed Livable Income with the provincial government of P.E.I.
- Taking action to lift Canadians living with disabilities out of poverty by moving forward with the Canada Disability Benefit.
- Increased funding to build affordable housing and non-market housing, including a substantial investment in cooperative housing.
- A focused fund to replenish core scientific capacity in key government agencies.
- Improved access to funds to respond to climate disasters and financial help for home and business owners to adapt to the impacts of climate change.
- An immediate end to all fossil fuel subsidies.
- Legislation and funding to guarantee workers in the fossil fuel sector a just transition to the clean, green economy of the 21st century.
- A major investment in modern, affordable, low-carbon intercity ground transportation with rail as the hub and spokes of light rail and electric bus connections.
For more information or to arrange an interview:
1-613-562-4916 ext. 215
Thu, May 19, 2022 at 12:37 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Will Canada finally stem rising aviation emissions in 2022?
Tue, May 17, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Wandering on Dewdrop Ridge – Kamloops Trails
Sun, May 15, 2022 at 8:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Six Mile Thrice – Kamloops Trails
Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:10 pm - Bill Sundhu posted on their blog: There is no Peace without Justice! »
Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:13 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Green living is good for you — and the planet
Tue, May 10, 2022 at 7:45 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Early Hiking in the Frederick Bluffs
Sat, May 7, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Up the NE Mara Route
Thu, May 5, 2022 at 11:18 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Suppressed science shows fish farms endanger wild salmon
Tue, May 3, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: A Moderate Hike on the Uplands Trails
Sat Apr 23 to Sat Jun 18 Sailing Pretty Close to the Wind
Sat May 7 to Sat May 21 Barb’s Used Book & Music Sale
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 WCT: The Wizard of Oz
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 The Wizard of Oz
Tue May 17 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed May 18 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri May 20 to Sat May 21 Paule Kype & Texas Flood
Fri May 20 Eric Johnston Run With The Bull Comedy Tour
Fri May 20 Film: The Last Tourist
Fri May 20 Film: Bootlegger
Fri May 20 The Olivia Show: A Tribute to Olivia Newton-John
Sat May 21 Eamon McGrath and his Electric Band with St.Arnaud