Nominate British Columbians standing against racism, hatred
Wednesday, January 19, 2022 10:45 AM
The Province is seeking nominations to honour individuals and organizations that are strengthening multiculturalism and fighting against discrimination throughout British Columbia.
Beginning Jan. 19, 2022, people are invited to submit nominations for the Multiculturalism and Anti-Racism Awards for individuals, organizations and youth whose work has enhanced inclusion and cultural diversity, and reduced racism and discrimination in their communities.
The call for nominations will close at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time), Feb. 8, 2022. There are three categories, with five awards in total:
- Intercultural Trust Awards (two awards):
- Provided to an outstanding organization or individual for their work in building intercultural trust and understanding and/or reducing racism and hate between communities
- Breaking Barriers Award (two awards):
- Provided to an outstanding organization or individual for their work in tackling systemic or institutional racism and reducing barriers for marginalized communities
- Emerging Leader Award (one award):
- Provided to an outstanding youth/young adult, aged 15 to 30, for their work in building intercultural trust, tackling racism or reducing barriers for marginalized communities
All nominees will receive a certificate of recognition. Award winners will receive plaques. The youth award recipient will receive $5,000 to donate to a not-for-profit organization of their choice to further promote multiculturalism and anti-racism.
Established in 2008, British Columbia’s Multiculturalism and Anti-Racism Awards ceremony will take place virtually on March 21, 2022, to coincide with the annual International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
- More than 40 individuals and organizations have received awards, including:
- The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 933 (Kamloops) for their work to get more women into the trades and break down “construction culture” – especially for Indigenous and immigrant women.
- Henry Yu, University of British Columbia history professor, whose work has drawn attention to the cultural and historical ties between First Nations and Asia Pacific migrants in B.C.;
- Boma Brown, founder of the Support Network for Indigenous Women and Women of Colour;
- Farid Rohani, a founder of the Laurier Institution; and
- Spice Radio for organizing the annual Raise Your Hands Against Racism campaign.
For more information and to submit a nomination, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/multiculturalism-anti-racism/multiculturalism/bc-multicultural-awards
Sun, May 15, 2022 at 8:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Six Mile Thrice – Kamloops Trails
Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:10 pm - Bill Sundhu posted on their blog: There is no Peace without Justice! »
Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:13 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Green living is good for you — and the planet
Tue, May 10, 2022 at 7:45 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Early Hiking in the Frederick Bluffs
Sat, May 7, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Up the NE Mara Route
Thu, May 5, 2022 at 11:18 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Suppressed science shows fish farms endanger wild salmon
Tue, May 3, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: A Moderate Hike on the Uplands Trails
Sun, May 1, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking the Battle Creek Hills
Sun, May 1, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking the Abbey Road Hills
Sat Apr 23 to Sat Jun 18 Sailing Pretty Close to the Wind
Sat May 7 to Sat May 21 Barb’s Used Book & Music Sale
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 WCT: The Wizard of Oz
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 The Wizard of Oz
Tue May 17 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed May 18 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri May 20 to Sat May 21 Paule Kype & Texas Flood
Fri May 20 Eric Johnston Run With The Bull Comedy Tour
Fri May 20 Film: The Last Tourist
Fri May 20 Film: Bootlegger
Fri May 20 The Olivia Show: A Tribute to Olivia Newton-John
Sat May 21 Eamon McGrath and his Electric Band with St.Arnaud