Prepare for strong winter storm heading for B.C.
Thursday, December 9, 2021 11:15 AM
A strong winter storm is forecast to affect many parts of B.C. from Friday through to Sunday.
Heavy rain on the coast, snow in parts of the Interior and mountain passes and high winds across much of the province may pose further challenges in areas recovering from November’s storms.
In particular, the Province is urging commercial and essential vehicle drivers along Highway 3 to prepare and be diligent if Environment and Climate Change Canada issues weather alerts. The current forecast calls for severe winter weather arriving Friday, Dec. 10, lasting until Sunday, Dec. 12.
Significant snowfall and reduced visibility are expected as well as potential avalanche activity and increased water flow in areas already affected by recent flooding.
The storm is expected to affect a section of Highway 3 near Manning Provincial Park, between Hope and Princeton. The corridor is currently the main commercial trucking connection between the Lower Mainland and the Interior and is under a non-essential travel order. Commercial and essential vehicle drivers should be aware and prepared for strong winter storm conditions.
For updated road conditions, visit: www.DriveBC.ca
For up-to-date public weather alerts, visit Environment and Climate Change Canada’s website: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc.
There are several steps drivers can take to prepare for stormy weather:
- Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Dressing in layers with a wind and water-resistant outer layer provides flexibility for changing conditions.
- Severe weather can cause power outages. Be prepared for up to one week by developing a household emergency plan and putting together an emergency kit.
- If you come across a downed or damaged power line, assume it is live and a danger. Stay back at least 10 metres (the length of a bus) and call 911 immediately to report.
- Drive for the conditions. There are fewer daylight hours, and blowing snow can further reduce visibility.
- Wet and icy roads call for extra caution behind the wheel. Drivers should always maintain a safe distance from highway maintenance vehicles.
- Motorists should have an emergency kit in their vehicles that includes warm clothes, winter footwear, food and water, a shovel, a flashlight,and a fully charged cell phone for emergency calls.
- Drivers are reminded that B.C.’s winter tire regulations are in effect. Slow down and watch for icy road conditions.
- The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has extra crews and equipment on standby, ready to respond as necessary.
For a list of Essential Purposes for travel, visit: www.gov.bc.ca/floodresponse
For information on preparing for severe weather, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-management/preparedbc/know-your-hazards/severe-weather
Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 11:06 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: People suffer as climate disrupters rake in massive profits
Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 8:48 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Our Best Hikes: Stake Lake Trails
Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 8:38 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hamilton Corrals Hike – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 9:51 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Should we be working 15-hour weeks?
Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 8:49 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: The Deep Lake Loop – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 8:56 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Deja Vu and the Cocobonk
Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 6:58 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: A sunny outlook for energy on Canada’s windy Prairies
Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 8:47 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: A Loop Route on the Orchard Lake Trails
Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 8:28 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Dikes and Dales – Kamloops Trails
Thu Jun 23 to Sun Jun 26 Cirque du Soleil “OVO”
Fri Jun 24 to Sat Jun 25 The Serious Dogs
Sat Jun 25 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Jun 27 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Mon Jun 27 The Stampeders – Celebrating 50 Years
Tue Jun 28 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Jun 29 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Wed Jun 29 Dancing Queen: A Tribute to ABBA
Thu Jun 30 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Jun 30 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri Jul 1 to Sat Jul 2 Someone to Blame
Sat Jul 2 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Jul 4 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Jul 5 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s