Financial assistance expanded for people affected by flooding
Sunday, December 5, 2021 11:00 AM
Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) eligibility has been expanded for people affected by flooding and landslides from Nov. 14 to Dec. 2, 2021, and now includes British Columbians in the northwest, southwest, central, and southeast areas of the province and on Vancouver Island.
This assistance includes all Indigenous communities, electoral areas and municipalities within those geographic boundaries.
DFA is available to homeowners, residential tenants, business owners, farm owners, and charitable organizations that were unable to obtain insurance to cover disaster-related losses. By regulation, DFA is unable to compensate for losses for which insurance was reasonably and readily available. DFA will continue to assess each individual applicant by applying its existing legislative criteria in a fair and consistent way.
Emergency Management BC (EMBC) will accept applications until March 3, 2022.
British Columbians can access the DFA application online: http://www.gov.bc.ca/disasterfinancialassistance
Facts about Disaster Financial Assistance:
Applicants should be aware of the following:
- Financial assistance is provided for each accepted claim at 80% of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000, to a maximum claim of $300,000.
- Claims may be made in more than one category (e.g., homeowner and farm owner).
- A homeowner or residential tenant must show that the home is their principal residence.
- Seasonal or recreational properties, hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, luxury items (e.g., jewelry, fur coats and collectibles) and recreational items (e.g., bicycles) are not eligible.
- Small business owners and farm owners must demonstrate that their farms and businesses are their primary source of income.
- Charitable organizations must provide a benefit of service to the community at large.
- DFA is limited to restoring actual damage caused by a specific disaster that has been declared eligible for compensation.
Assistance is also available to Indigenous communities and local governments:
- Emergency response measures authorized by Emergency Management BC according to response task number:
- These include incremental costs associated with their Emergency Operations Centre.
- Financial assistance is provided for each accepted response claim at 100%.
- Completed response claim summaries and supporting documentation must be sent to the respective EMBC regional office.
Disaster Financial Assistance:
Information, eligibility criteria, categories and applications can be found by calling toll free 1 888 257-4777 or visiting https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-management/preparedbc/evacuee-guidance/disaster-financial-assistance
For a map of eligible Indigenous communities, electoral areas and municipalities, see:
Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 11:06 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: People suffer as climate disrupters rake in massive profits
Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 8:48 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Our Best Hikes: Stake Lake Trails
Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 8:38 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hamilton Corrals Hike – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 9:51 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Should we be working 15-hour weeks?
Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 8:49 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: The Deep Lake Loop – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 8:56 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Deja Vu and the Cocobonk
Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 6:58 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: A sunny outlook for energy on Canada’s windy Prairies
Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 8:47 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: A Loop Route on the Orchard Lake Trails
Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 8:28 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Dikes and Dales – Kamloops Trails
Thu Jun 23 to Sun Jun 26 Cirque du Soleil “OVO”
Fri Jun 24 to Sat Jun 25 The Serious Dogs
Sat Jun 25 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Jun 27 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Mon Jun 27 The Stampeders – Celebrating 50 Years
Tue Jun 28 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Jun 29 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Wed Jun 29 Dancing Queen: A Tribute to ABBA
Thu Jun 30 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Jun 30 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri Jul 1 to Sat Jul 2 Someone to Blame
Sat Jul 2 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Jul 4 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Jul 5 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s