Province extends support for projects tackling racism, discrimination
Community organizations can now submit applications for the 2021-22 multiculturalism grants program as the Province extends support for projects tackling racism and discrimination.
“Throughout the province, we’ve seen organizations stepping up to fight racism and discrimination in their communities,” said Rachna Singh, Parliamentary Secretary for Anti-racism Initiatives. “These grants will give British Columbians additional tools and resources to address hatred, learn and celebrate diversity, and come together to make this a more inclusive, welcoming province for everyone who lives here.”
The funding is provided to community organizations that build intercultural interaction, trust and understanding, or challenge racism, hate and systemic barriers faced by Indigenous and racialized communities.
“Too many communities in B.C. are facing barriers as a result of discrimination and systemic racism,” said Niki Sharma, Parliamentary Secretary for Community Development and Non-Profits. “This program is part of government’s broader commitment to tackle racism in B.C. The funding will support our vital non-profits in creating workshops and training sessions, documentaries and other essential resources to help British Columbians understand the key part they play in this work.”
The Province has allocated $300,000 to support this year’s grants for projects that help to reduce systemic racism and incidents of hate, as well as build capacity to address these issues in racialized communities.
Applications will be accepted until Dec. 20, 2021.
- On Sept. 9, 2021, the Province launched a public consultation asking British Columbians to share their thoughts and experiences to help shape B.C.’s anti-racism data legislation. This engagement will run until Jan. 31, 2022.
- Other actions that have been taken to make B.C. a safer and more inclusive place for everyone include:
- investing $2.9 million to support several anti-racism initiatives, such as increased funding for the new Resilience BC Anti-Racism Network, as well as more than 190 community organizations working to address racism and diversity throughout B.C., and a provincewide anti-racism awareness campaign;
- reinstating the B.C. Human Rights Commission;
- reviewing the Police Act, developing a K-12 anti-racism action plan and tackling anti-Indigenous racism in health care;
- working to introduce a new anti-racism act; and
- developing a multilingual racist-incident hotline for British Columbians to report racist incidents and receive support and referrals.
For more information about the grants and to apply, visit:
For more information about the anti-racism data legislation, and to complete the engagement, visit: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/antiracism/data
For more information about the anti-racism awareness campaign, visit: https://antiracist.gov.bc.ca/
For more information on what to do if you see or are the victim of hate crime, visit: www.resiliencebc.ca
Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 8:58 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking to Painted Bluffs – Kamloops Trails
Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 8:55 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking the Spines in the Silt Cliffs
Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 4:16 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Climate change, tipping points and economic gain
Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 8:58 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Zupjok Peak – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 5:25 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Finding our place along the grand scale
Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Through the Black Forests on the Bonaparte Plateau
Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Estekwalan Mountain (2022) – Kamloops Trails
Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 8:52 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Stake Lake Paddle and Giant Firs Hike
Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 6:12 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Water runs through the climate crisis
Wed Sep 28 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Sep 29 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Sep 29 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri Sep 30 Dvořák & Jam
Sat Oct 1 New Word / New Beats
Sat Oct 1 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Sun Oct 2 Dvořák Delights
Mon Oct 3 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub
Tue Oct 4 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Oct 5 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu Oct 6 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Oct 6 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Sat Oct 8 Saturday Night Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Mon Oct 10 Monday Night Trivia at Westsyder Pub