Province extends support for projects tackling racism, discrimination
Community organizations can now submit applications for the 2021-22 multiculturalism grants program as the Province extends support for projects tackling racism and discrimination.
“Throughout the province, we’ve seen organizations stepping up to fight racism and discrimination in their communities,” said Rachna Singh, Parliamentary Secretary for Anti-racism Initiatives. “These grants will give British Columbians additional tools and resources to address hatred, learn and celebrate diversity, and come together to make this a more inclusive, welcoming province for everyone who lives here.”
The funding is provided to community organizations that build intercultural interaction, trust and understanding, or challenge racism, hate and systemic barriers faced by Indigenous and racialized communities.
“Too many communities in B.C. are facing barriers as a result of discrimination and systemic racism,” said Niki Sharma, Parliamentary Secretary for Community Development and Non-Profits. “This program is part of government’s broader commitment to tackle racism in B.C. The funding will support our vital non-profits in creating workshops and training sessions, documentaries and other essential resources to help British Columbians understand the key part they play in this work.”
The Province has allocated $300,000 to support this year’s grants for projects that help to reduce systemic racism and incidents of hate, as well as build capacity to address these issues in racialized communities.
Applications will be accepted until Dec. 20, 2021.
- On Sept. 9, 2021, the Province launched a public consultation asking British Columbians to share their thoughts and experiences to help shape B.C.’s anti-racism data legislation. This engagement will run until Jan. 31, 2022.
- Other actions that have been taken to make B.C. a safer and more inclusive place for everyone include:
- investing $2.9 million to support several anti-racism initiatives, such as increased funding for the new Resilience BC Anti-Racism Network, as well as more than 190 community organizations working to address racism and diversity throughout B.C., and a provincewide anti-racism awareness campaign;
- reinstating the B.C. Human Rights Commission;
- reviewing the Police Act, developing a K-12 anti-racism action plan and tackling anti-Indigenous racism in health care;
- working to introduce a new anti-racism act; and
- developing a multilingual racist-incident hotline for British Columbians to report racist incidents and receive support and referrals.
For more information about the grants and to apply, visit:
For more information about the anti-racism data legislation, and to complete the engagement, visit: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/antiracism/data
For more information about the anti-racism awareness campaign, visit: https://antiracist.gov.bc.ca/
For more information on what to do if you see or are the victim of hate crime, visit: www.resiliencebc.ca
Sun, May 15, 2022 at 8:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Six Mile Thrice – Kamloops Trails
Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:10 pm - Bill Sundhu posted on their blog: There is no Peace without Justice! »
Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:13 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Green living is good for you — and the planet
Tue, May 10, 2022 at 7:45 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Early Hiking in the Frederick Bluffs
Sat, May 7, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Up the NE Mara Route
Thu, May 5, 2022 at 11:18 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Suppressed science shows fish farms endanger wild salmon
Tue, May 3, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: A Moderate Hike on the Uplands Trails
Sun, May 1, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking the Battle Creek Hills
Sun, May 1, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Hiking the Abbey Road Hills
Sat Apr 23 to Sat Jun 18 Sailing Pretty Close to the Wind
Sat May 7 to Sat May 21 Barb’s Used Book & Music Sale
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 WCT: The Wizard of Oz
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 The Wizard of Oz
Tue May 17 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed May 18 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri May 20 to Sat May 21 Paule Kype & Texas Flood
Fri May 20 Eric Johnston Run With The Bull Comedy Tour
Fri May 20 Film: The Last Tourist
Fri May 20 Film: Bootlegger
Fri May 20 The Olivia Show: A Tribute to Olivia Newton-John
Sat May 21 Eamon McGrath and his Electric Band with St.Arnaud