Province extends support for projects tackling racism, discrimination
Community organizations can now submit applications for the 2021-22 multiculturalism grants program as the Province extends support for projects tackling racism and discrimination.
“Throughout the province, we’ve seen organizations stepping up to fight racism and discrimination in their communities,” said Rachna Singh, Parliamentary Secretary for Anti-racism Initiatives. “These grants will give British Columbians additional tools and resources to address hatred, learn and celebrate diversity, and come together to make this a more inclusive, welcoming province for everyone who lives here.”
The funding is provided to community organizations that build intercultural interaction, trust and understanding, or challenge racism, hate and systemic barriers faced by Indigenous and racialized communities.
“Too many communities in B.C. are facing barriers as a result of discrimination and systemic racism,” said Niki Sharma, Parliamentary Secretary for Community Development and Non-Profits. “This program is part of government’s broader commitment to tackle racism in B.C. The funding will support our vital non-profits in creating workshops and training sessions, documentaries and other essential resources to help British Columbians understand the key part they play in this work.”
The Province has allocated $300,000 to support this year’s grants for projects that help to reduce systemic racism and incidents of hate, as well as build capacity to address these issues in racialized communities.
Applications will be accepted until Dec. 20, 2021.
- On Sept. 9, 2021, the Province launched a public consultation asking British Columbians to share their thoughts and experiences to help shape B.C.’s anti-racism data legislation. This engagement will run until Jan. 31, 2022.
- Other actions that have been taken to make B.C. a safer and more inclusive place for everyone include:
- investing $2.9 million to support several anti-racism initiatives, such as increased funding for the new Resilience BC Anti-Racism Network, as well as more than 190 community organizations working to address racism and diversity throughout B.C., and a provincewide anti-racism awareness campaign;
- reinstating the B.C. Human Rights Commission;
- reviewing the Police Act, developing a K-12 anti-racism action plan and tackling anti-Indigenous racism in health care;
- working to introduce a new anti-racism act; and
- developing a multilingual racist-incident hotline for British Columbians to report racist incidents and receive support and referrals.
For more information about the grants and to apply, visit:
For more information about the anti-racism data legislation, and to complete the engagement, visit: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/antiracism/data
For more information about the anti-racism awareness campaign, visit: https://antiracist.gov.bc.ca/
For more information on what to do if you see or are the victim of hate crime, visit: www.resiliencebc.ca
Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:50 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Trails on the East Side of Lac le Jeune
Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 5:00 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Where do we go from COP26?
Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: White Lake Lookout – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 12:00 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: It will take more than electric cars to drive down emissions
Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 9:01 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Views from Above Kamloops – Kamloops Trails
Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 9:01 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Moul Falls Fall Hike – Kamloops Trails
Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Tranquille River in the Fall
Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 11:13 am - Arjun Singh posted on their blog: Remembrance Day 2021…
Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 6:51 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Governments must end support for coal, oil and gas
Sat Nov 6 to Sun Dec 5 KSO Presents: Van Django & KSO
Sun Nov 7 to Mon Dec 6 KSO Presents: The Wild Orchestra
Fri Nov 19 to Wed Dec 22 SMALL//works
Sat Nov 20 to Sat Dec 4 KSO Presents: Barb’s Used Book & Music Sale
Fri Nov 26 to Sun Nov 28 Live-audience radio version of A Christmas Carol
Sat Nov 27 Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Sat Nov 27 Wes Barker: Comedy – Stunts – Magic
Sun Nov 28 Santa Claus Parade 2021
Tue Nov 30 Trivia Night at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Dec 1 Trivia at Fox’n Hound
Thu Dec 2 Trivia Night at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu Dec 2 to Sat Dec 11 WCT: Chelsea Hotel: The Songs of Leonard Cohen
Fri Dec 3 Open Mic at Pizza Pi
Sat Dec 4 Trivia at Alchemy Brewing