Helping farmers with safety expenses supports a safe, secure food supply
Tuesday, October 5, 2021 11:45 AM
Farms that employed seasonal workers from other parts of Canada are eligible to receive support for some of the costs they incurred to keep their workers safe and ensure British Columbians could enjoy local fruits and vegetables this summer and fall.
The B.C. Seasonal Domestic Farm Worker COVID-19 Safety Program offers farmers up to $2,000 reimbursement for on-farm expenses that helped farms comply with COVID-19 health and safety measures between April 1 and Oct. 31, 2021.
The program compensates expenses for sanitation priorities, such as the purchase, rental or scheduled cleaning and disinfecting of handwashing stations, bathing and laundry facilities, and bathrooms, portable or compost toilets, as well as cleaning, disinfecting and sanitization products used to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. It also offers reimbursed costs for infrastructure expenses that helped workers stay on-farm during their employment period, such as cooking facilities, shelters for shade and rain, and added Wi-Fi access to worker areas.
Approximately 1,500 to 2,000 seasonal workers from other parts of Canada help harvest B.C. fruit and grapes in the Okanagan and Creston areas each year. The B.C. government has worked with fruit growers to ensure COVID-19 health and safety guidelines have been met at designated worker camps near Oliver and Summerland since 2020, as well as offering support for on-farm camping in the Okanagan and Creston Valley, all to help keep people safe and support B.C.’s economy and food security.
More information and application packages for the B.C. Seasonal Domestic Farm Worker COVID-19 Safety Program are available online:
- The program offers up to 70% reimbursement for eligible purchases between April 1 and Oct. 31, 2021, to a maximum of $2,000 per farm.
- For the purposes of this program, a seasonal domestic farm worker is defined as a worker who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, who is not a permanent employee of the applicant and does not permanently reside on the applicant’s farm.
- Eligible on-farm improvements must support the employer and the workers to comply with their obligations under the Industrial Camp Order, and/or the employer’s Infection Prevention and Control Plan or Communicable Disease Prevention Plan.
- Applications must be received by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries no later than Oct. 31, 2021 (11:59 p.m.) and claim forms no later than Nov. 30, 2021 (11:59 p.m.).
- If the maximum program budget of $50,000 is allocated before Oct. 31, 2021, the application intake will close.
Support for domestic seasonal farm workers in 2021 – Supporting a safe 2021 fruit harvest in B.C. – on BC Gov News: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021AFF0040-001266
Thu, May 19, 2022 at 12:37 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Will Canada finally stem rising aviation emissions in 2022?
Tue, May 17, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Wandering on Dewdrop Ridge – Kamloops Trails
Sun, May 15, 2022 at 8:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Six Mile Thrice – Kamloops Trails
Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:10 pm - Bill Sundhu posted on their blog: There is no Peace without Justice! »
Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:13 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Green living is good for you — and the planet
Tue, May 10, 2022 at 7:45 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Early Hiking in the Frederick Bluffs
Sat, May 7, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Up the NE Mara Route
Thu, May 5, 2022 at 11:18 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Suppressed science shows fish farms endanger wild salmon
Tue, May 3, 2022 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: A Moderate Hike on the Uplands Trails
Sat Apr 23 to Sat Jun 18 Sailing Pretty Close to the Wind
Sat May 7 to Sat May 21 Barb’s Used Book & Music Sale
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 WCT: The Wizard of Oz
Thu May 12 to Sat May 28 The Wizard of Oz
Tue May 17 Tuesday Night Trivia at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed May 18 Wednesday Night Trivia at Fox’N Hounds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Tumbleweeds Pub
Thu May 19 Thursday Night Trivia at Rick’n Firkin Pub
Fri May 20 to Sat May 21 Paule Kype & Texas Flood
Fri May 20 Eric Johnston Run With The Bull Comedy Tour
Fri May 20 Film: The Last Tourist
Fri May 20 Film: Bootlegger
Fri May 20 The Olivia Show: A Tribute to Olivia Newton-John
Sat May 21 Eamon McGrath and his Electric Band with St.Arnaud