Full steam ahead for expanded Richmond Hospital
The Province has announced 15 major health capital projects since 2017 to replace outdated facilities and meet the needs of growing communities, including:
- Richmond: Richmond Hospital expansion business plan approval (July 2021)
- Surrey: new hospital business plan approval (March 2021)
- Cowichan Valley: new Cowichan District Hospital business plan approval (September 2020)
- Prince George: University Hospital of Northern BC concept plan approval (September 2020)
- Dawson Creek: Dawson Creek and District Hospital business plan approval (September 2020)
- Vancouver: new children’s complex care transition centre concept plan approval (September 2020)
- Fort St. James: Stuart Lake Hospital business plan approval (January 2020)
- Burnaby: Burnaby Hospital redevelopment (September 2019)
- Williams Lake: Cariboo Memorial Hospital (July 2019)
- Quesnel: G.R. Baker ED and ICU (March 2019)
- Vancouver: St. Paul’s Hospital (February 2019)
- Trail: Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital pharmacy and ambulatory care (February 2019)
- Nanaimo: ICU for Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (November 2018)
- North Shore: Lions Gate Hospital (September 2018)
- Terrace: Mills Memorial Hospital (February 2018)
As of July 2021, 24 urgent and primary care centres have been opened around B.C., including: Surrey North, Surrey-Newton, Kamloops, Kelowna, West Kelowna, Vernon, Quesnel, Westshore, Vancouver (REACH), North Vancouver, Vancouver City Centre, Prince George, Nanaimo, Burnaby, Ridge Meadows, Castlegar, James Bay, North Quadra, Abbotsford, Esquimalt, Richmond, Penticton, Vancouver Northeast and Tri-Cities.
Primary care networks are improving access to team-based care in communities throughout the province. This includes networks in Burnaby, Ridge Meadows, Fraser Northwest, South Okanagan Similkameen, Richmond, Prince George, North Shore, Central Okanagan, Vancouver, Central Interior, Comox Valley, White Rock and South Surrey, Cowichan, Mission, Kootenay Boundary, East Kootenay, South Island, Oceanside and Chilliwack.
The first nurse practitioner-led primary care clinic under the Province’s primary care strategy opened its doors in June 2020 to serve people and families in the greater Nanaimo region. Two other primary care nurse practitioner clinics opened in Surrey and Victoria in September 2020.
As part of B.C.’s primary care strategy, the Province has announced three community health centres. RISE Community Health Centre opened in June 2020, Island Sexual Health in Victoria and Umbrella Co-op in Vancouver were announced in September 2020. Community health centres are community-governed, not-for-profit organizations with services tailored to meet the health needs of the community they serve.
The provincial government has made possible tens of thousands more MRI exams by boosting the number of MRI machines, and keeping them running longer, so people can have their diagnoses and access care faster.
Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:00 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Is smaller better when it comes to nuclear?
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Lodgepole Lake Loops – Kamloops Trails
Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On Mt. Thynne – Kamloops Trails
Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On the Upper Peterson Creek Trails
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 4:10 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: The climate is changing rapidly, but the oil industry isn’t
Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Stake Lake Loops – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Big Pine Nature Hike – Kamloops Trails
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:40 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Blueberry River First Nations court victory offers path to reconciliation
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Along the Red Plateau Escarpment Rim
Thu Jul 1 to Tue Aug 31 Music in the Park
Wed Aug 25 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Aug 26 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Sat Sep 11 to Sun Sep 12 Parkinson SuperWalk
Tue Sep 28 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop