The Seven Important Qualities of Corporate Leaders – The Shore – Kamloops Business Improvement Association
Each and every leader has a unique perspective, built upon years of interactions, rewards, concerns and issues. They have most often honed their skills through experience, intuition and strong core behaviours which enhance the natural abilities to communicate and create followership.
In the past century hundreds, if not thousands, of books have been written on leadership. A few are what I call foundational; they focus on the core aspects of leadership. Before a leader explores the new and innovative, I suggest looking back at the foundations of leadership to ensure that opportunities to grow have been realized, and that new skills are built on a solid foundation of knowledge.
As a leader exploring your path, these foundational texts are critical to digest prior to embracing the new and innovative. If you develop excellence in the fundamentals, everything that follows yields greater rewards.
For a list of what I consider the top three fundamental texts on leadership, see the end of this article.
The seven most frequently utilized skills for an effective leaders, for me, took form when I read the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People from Steven Covey. In his Book, Mr. Covey identified that most effective people follow a similar set of habitual behaviours. When I looked at organizations, I saw the same principle, but with slightly differing concepts that were focused in interpersonal actions.
These seven qualities are:
- To Envision – The ability to see where you want to go with great clarity and sense of urgency, including the best path to follow which will minimize disruption. Then to be able to clearly share this vision with others, creating a shared sense of purpose and direction.
- To Engage – To speak with passion and understanding, communicating effectively with others to maximize the value of your conversation, understand issues or challenges and seek proactive and positive solutions.
- To Persuade – To communicate your vision and pathway to others in a manner which inspires them to see your path and voluntarily pursue your vision.
- To Empower – To provide the tools, resources, encouragement and support that enables your team members to achieve excellence.
- To Exemplify- To consistently set the stage and exhibit the behaviours the inspire others to seek out your leadership, with the intent that they will act in the same manner as you do.
- To Execute- To implement, even if its slowly, a consistent approach to moving toward your future state or destination. To always benchmark actions and behaviours on the thought that small steps taken consistently create more sustainable momentum than large steps taken intermittently.
- To Acknowledge- To recognize the contributions of others throughout the year. To provide positive feedback and encouragement to all team members in public and in a way that shows your genuine appreciation.
Regardless of whether you are implementing a new quality control system, hiring a new team member, or simply planning for the year ahead, these simple Qualities will serve you well, as the foundation upon which your effective leadership is built.
Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On the Embleton Trails – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 6:02 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Fossil fuel industry faces an overdue reckoning
Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Island Lake Loop – Kamloops Trails
Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 8:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Lac du Bois Loop Route
Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 3:25 pm - Darryl Schmidt posted a reply on Grand Finale of the Kamloops Symphony’s “Running The Symphony” Initiative
Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Ragged Red Ridge Reverse Route
Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 1:08 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Sun rises on renewable energy and storage
Mon, May 31, 2021 at 12:46 pm - Deniel Lene Enriquez created a new Profile
Mon, May 31, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: The Deep Lake Extended Loop
Fri May 21 to Sat Jun 19 T(w)o New Heights
Fri Jun 18 to Sat Jul 17 “Painting with Wax” by Judith Anderson in the KAC Main Gallery
Thu Jun 24 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Thu Jul 1 to Tue Aug 31 Music in the Park
Wed Jul 14 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Jul 29 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Wed Aug 25 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Aug 26 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Sat Sep 11 to Sun Sep 12 Parkinson SuperWalk
Tue Sep 28 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop