Networking Skills for Grad Students – TRU Newsroom
Mitacs is providing free, online workshops for graduate students in BC. For each workshop there are 24 seats available, and sessions are full-day.
For a description of each workshop, please visit Mitacs.
To register, students must create an account or log in to their accounts on EDGE.
For any questions regarding the workshops or EDGE, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You’ve all heard the saying “you are only as good as your network,” but have you ever wondered how to get one?
This full day course is designed to provide insight and interaction along with the know how to build and stabilize business relationships through effective networking.
We will cover who-what-where-when and why to network and participants will have the opportunity to practice what they learn. Details on the actual networking exercises will be determined by the location of each event. Activities will be customized to reflect the interests of the participants.
Through participating and completing this course, participants will:
- Broaden their understanding of the importance of networking
- Learn the importance of sharing contacts
- Receive insights on how to refresh, build and make the most of the networks they already have, both virtually and in-person
- Acquire the tools required to make an impact on contacts that may open doors
- Learn tools and techniques to plan and better prepare for networking opportunities
Key Topic Areas:
The Importance of Networking
- The value of a network
- Strength of weak ties
- Introducing others
- Social Media Profiles and Networking
Assessing and Building a Network
- Mapping and identifying existing networks
- Identifying networking opportunities in life and work
- Business cards: why everyone should have them and how to use them
- Networking planning and preparation
- Transactional vs. engaged networking
- Mingling and making impactful connections: The art of conversation
- Answering the questions “So what do you do?”
- Follow through and follow up
Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:00 am - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Is smaller better when it comes to nuclear?
Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Lodgepole Lake Loops – Kamloops Trails
Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On Mt. Thynne – Kamloops Trails
Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On the Upper Peterson Creek Trails
Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 4:10 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: The climate is changing rapidly, but the oil industry isn’t
Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Stake Lake Loops – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Big Pine Nature Hike – Kamloops Trails
Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:40 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Blueberry River First Nations court victory offers path to reconciliation
Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Along the Red Plateau Escarpment Rim
Thu Jul 1 to Tue Aug 31 Music in the Park
Wed Aug 25 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Aug 26 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Sat Sep 11 to Sun Sep 12 Parkinson SuperWalk
Tue Sep 28 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop