KAMLOOPS, JUNE 30 – The Kamloops Community YMCA-YWCA is thrilled to announce that we are taking the next step in reopening our facilities. Step 1 began with the reopening of the Downtown Y(400 Battle St.) dry-land fitness areas on June 15, and the reintroduction of Group Fitness Classes on June 22. Step 2 will commence on July 6, as we reintroduce Aquatics and Playcare services to our offerings on a limited schedule. Full details of our reopening can be found online: https://www.kamloopsy.org/covid19.htm
Other programs and services that are currently operating include:
- Youth Employment Services are open in a multi-step plan, with in-person service at both Work BC Offices currently being offered.
- Child Care Resource and Referral Services are also open and performing in-person services at the John Tod Centre Y.
- Daycamps will be commencing the week of June 29, 2020
- Virtual Programming will continue, including Mental Wellness Breaks, Lunchtime Live Fitness Classes, YMCA at Home, with new YCamp additional content, and our Kamloops Y YouTube Channel.
The John Tod Centre Y will remain closed at this time.
We continue to follow guidelines from health experts and local officials to ensure that our facilities meet the highest standards for hygiene and safety, and we have modified our policies and programs to facilitate safe social distancing practices including:
- Daily health screenings of members, volunteers and staff
- Increased cleaning of high contact surfaces
- Increased physical distancing
- Physical distancing and safety signage
- Reduced class sizes
- Reduced facility capacity
- Reduced operating hours
Additionally, future steps will be rolled out when it is deemed safe and suitable to do so. Planned steps to be rolled out over the coming weeks/months are as follows:
- Step 3 – Private Swim Lessons
- Step 4 – Additional programming and community user groups, reintroduction of Health and Fitness programming at the John Tod Centre Y