Celebrating Access to Justice Week 2019
British Columbia News
Celebrating Access to Justice Week 2019
Monday, October 28, 2019 3:00 PM
The B.C. government has proclaimed Oct. 27 to Nov. 2, 2019, Access to Justice Week, an annual event that engages the public and legal community to showcase ways to make it easier for British Columbians to resolve their disputes and deal with legal matters.
Access to Justice Week is led by three law schools – Allard School of Law at the University of British Columbia, Thompson Rivers University’s Faculty of Law and the University of Victoria’s Faculty of Law.
“For too long, British Columbians faced barriers when seeking justice,” said David Eby, Attorney General. “I’m proud of the results our government is making towards improving access. Just this week, we published a new digital transformation strategy aimed at using technology inside and outside the courtroom to improve services and accessibility. We’ll continue to work on ways to make life better for British Columbians when it comes to the justice system.”
Highlights of what government has accomplished so far to improve access to justice:
- appointed B.C.’s first independent human rights commissioner to ensure the protection of human rights;
- increased funding for legal aid by $26 million, helping British Columbians access essential affordable or free legal advice and reduce court backlogs;
- established a 2.5-year agreement with the Association of Legal Aid Lawyers to provide access to legal aid lawyers across the entire province;
- opened new courthouse services that assist people in resolving family disputes and civil lawsuits more efficiently, and resolve disputes outside of court, while providing increased funding for registry staff, sheriffs and other essential court services;
- BC Prosecution Service developed an Indigenous Justice Framework to strive for change to the status quo by moving towards reconciliation, building trust and promoting better relationships with Indigenous communities;
- established the BC Family Maintenance Agency inside government to offer stability in services that ensure outstanding family support payments are made to vulnerable British Columbians;
- expanded the Civil Resolution Tribunal to save time, money and stress in resolving motor vehicle injury disputes and encourage early resolution;
- launched a Digital Transformation Strategy to support better services and accessibility for citizens, and innovation and technology for the judiciary; and
- expanded the online divorce assistant to provide a service for joint divorce for couples with children.
Access to Justice Week is sponsored by Access to Justice BC, Canadian Bar Association – BC Branch, Continuing Legal Education Society, Courthouse Libraries, the Law Foundation, the Law Society and the Ministry of Attorney General.
For more information on Access to Justice Week, visit: http://www.a2jweekbc.ca/
Online divorce assistant: https://justice.gov.bc.ca/divorce
Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 1:00 pm - Doug Smith posted on their blog: In the Battle Creek Hills
Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 3:05 pm - Arjun Singh posted on their blog: Apologies for horrible word choice at Kamloops council this Tuesday….
Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 1:00 pm - Doug Smith posted on their blog: In the Cache Creek to Spences Bridge Hills
Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Sunrise Mountain Ramble – Kamloops Trails
Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 4:05 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: For climate’s sake, save the peat!
Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: On the Embleton Trails – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 6:02 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Fossil fuel industry faces an overdue reckoning
Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Island Lake Loop – Kamloops Trails
Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 8:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Lac du Bois Loop Route
Fri Jun 18 to Sat Jul 17 “Painting with Wax” by Judith Anderson in the KAC Main Gallery
Thu Jun 24 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Thu Jul 1 to Tue Aug 31 Music in the Park
Wed Jul 14 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Jul 29 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Wed Aug 25 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop
Thu Aug 26 Artist Coffee – Virtual Meet Up
Sat Sep 11 to Sun Sep 12 Parkinson SuperWalk
Tue Sep 28 Renovate Smart Kamloops Virtual Home Energy Performance Workshop