Student research—from beer and birds, to fish guts – TRU Newsroom
Ten TRU students have been awarded Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA), with each receiving a minimum of $5,625, allowing them to conduct research over the summer.
These federally-funded awards are extremely competitive, and are designed to encourage high-performing students to undertake graduate studies in the fields of natural sciences and engineering. The funds also allow faculty to spend the summer working with, and training, exceptional students, thereby advancing their own research programs.
As a result of the USRA, biology major Breanne McAmmond will spend her summer working on a project alongside Dr. Jonathan Van Hamme, analyzing two separate yeasts for Vancouver-based craft brewing company Parallel 49.
“We’re looking at two yeasts to see if we can produce the same beer with a single yeast. This is one of their most popular brews, and they’ve stopped making it because it’s so time consuming and consistency is difficult,” McAmmond said, adding that if they are successful, the brewery will once again be able to produce the brew, but at a significantly reduced cost.
“I like how big a project this is, and this study is quite novel because not many people are looking at the science of brewing,” McAmmond said of the project, which is also supported by an NSERC Engage Grant.
While she graduates next month, the USRA allows her to remain on and complete the project over the summer. McAmmond then expects to pursue graduate work.
2019 NSERC USRA Recipients
- Benjamin Friedman, supervised by Dr. Sean McGuinness, “Base exchange problems for frame matroids.”
- Breanne McAmmond, supervised by Dr. Jonathan Van Hamme, “Multi-omics of yeast behavior in beer fermentation.”
- Colton Stephens, supervised by Dr. Lauchlan Fraser, “Effect of drought on grassland communities.”
- Cyrene Catenza, supervised by Dr. Kingsley Donkor, “Estrogens-human serum albumin interaction by affinity capillary electrophoresis.”
- Genevieve Ward, Dr. Matt Reudink, “Analysis of American Redstart feather pigmentation using tetrahedral colour space models.”
- Kali Mailhot, supervised by Dr. John Church, “Evaluation of Mazzella japonica as a food additive for ruminants to mitigate methane.”
- Lynnea Carr, supervised by Dr. Jonathan Van Hamme, “Fish gut microbiomes.”
- Madison Oud, supervised by Dr. Matt Reudink, “Effects of urbanization on Mountain Chickadees.”
- Nikola Klassen, supervised by Dr. Jenni Karl, “Do children need to see their hand to experience enhanced visual processing in peri-hand space?”
- Noor Shubear, supervised by Dr. Kinsgley Donkor, “Analytical method development of bisphenol analogues.”
Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: An Outer Inks Ramble – Kamloops Trails
Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Rose Hill Trails – Kamloops Trails
Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 4:54 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Big, small or in between, wild animals should not be pets
Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 8:33 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Mount Parke Trails – Kamloops Trails
Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Clapperton Hill Traverse – Kamloops Trails
Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:50 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: Trails on the East Side of Lac le Jeune
Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 5:00 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: Where do we go from COP26?
Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 9:00 am - Doug Smith posted on their blog: White Lake Lookout – Kamloops Trails
Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 12:00 pm - David Suzuki posted on their blog: It will take more than electric cars to drive down emissions
Fri Nov 19 to Wed Dec 22 SMALL//works
Thu Dec 2 to Sat Dec 11 WCT: Chelsea Hotel: The Songs of Leonard Cohen
Thu Dec 9 Trivia Night at Tumbleweeds Pub
Fri Dec 10 Femme Fatale Dance Presents: A Roaring 20’s Christmas Show
Fri Dec 10 Open Mic at Pizza Pi
Sat Dec 11 KSO Presents: Christmas with the KSO
Sat Dec 11 Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Sat Dec 11 to Sat Dec 11 Christmas with the KSO
Tue Dec 14 Trivia Night at Carlos O’Bryan’s
Wed Dec 15 Trivia at Fox’n Hound
Thu Dec 16 Trivia Night at Tumbleweeds Pub
Fri Dec 17 Open Mic at Pizza Pi
Sat Dec 18 Trivia at Alchemy Brewing
Tue Dec 21 Trivia Night at Carlos O’Bryan’s